Diesen Blogpost gibt es auch auf Deutsch!
welcome at The Flying Needle! For my very first blog entry ever I have chosen my current favorite pattern: Tilly and the Button’s Coco.
It was love at first sight between me and Coco… However, when I spotted her for the first time on Tilly and The Button’s website, I was at the very beginning of my sewing journey. Making a dress was totally out of my league at the time. And so I forgot about Coco… Until Tilly hosted a Black Friday Sale last November and I remembered that I had always wanted to make a Coco. So the PDF pattern made it’s way into my shopping basket and onto my printer. And when I spotted the geometrical Ponte di Roma fabric a couple days later on stoffe.de, it was time for Coco to come to life!
The pattern offers a couple of different options: dress or sweater, with a funnel neck or without one, long sleeves of 3/4 sleeves. All of the options are interchangeable, which makes the pattern very versatile. As I had fallen in love with the funnel neck when I first “met” Coco, I chose to make the dress version with said funnel neck. Coco has a slight Sixties vibe to it, including the skirt length: Mini! For my personal style the skirt is a little short, so I added an extra 5 cm to it. Luckily, Tilly’s patterns come with Lengthening/Shortening lines, so you don’t have to worry about where to slash the pattern. On my first go, I cut out the long sleeves. But when I tried the half-finished dress on, the full-length sleeves were just a little bit too much geometry for me… So I cut them down to 3/4 length. Doing that was easy, even in the sewn up state, as the fabric just behaves beautifully and doesn’t slide around. I had enough fabric left to add the cuffs. In my opinion, in combination with the funnel neck, the cuffs give the dress a more “finished” look than just hemming the sleeves.
I really like the attached pockets and wanted to give them an extra twist. So I decided to cut them on the bias – also to avoid having to do patternmatching ;-). With the geometrical pattern, I would have to get it right on the millimeter, and my pattern matching abilities are still lacking (see below)! I was a little worried that the fabric would stretch itself out when cut on the bias. But that wasn’t a problem, I just had to take a little extra care while sewing. I had cut out two pockets – but when I pinned them on the dress, my husband told me that he much preferred the look with just one pocket. I wasn’t sold on that, but since it’s so easy to attach another pocket, I went with one first. And what should I say: I love the look after all!
Coco has the potential to become a wardrobe staple for me. I love the shape and fit of the funnel neck, and I adore the 3/4 sleeves with cuffs. The only thing I will change next time is a sway back adjustment. In this version, there is a little too much fabric in the back; it doesn’t bother me too much, but I’ll try to amend that in the next go. And I’ll also have to put in some work with my pattern matching on the funnel neck and the side seams… I got it halfway right on the sideseams, but not at all on the neck!